Sunday, May 25, 2008

The Beginning

I have arrived! I never thought I would be SO happy to be in a place that I've never been before. Without luggage, sleep, a shower, or a change of clothes, I am still one of the happiest beings on the planet. Africa loves me, Delta doesn't.

Realized earlier today that I just visted...
...3 continents,
...6 states,
...and 8 cities
...flying on 9 planes
in the last week and a half. I sound very cosmopolitain right now. Don't let that decieve you - it's a lie.

I wish I could upload some pictures. The Cairo airport was the first thavt I've been to where I noticed an actual change in atmosphere and setting. It was also the first time I remember really realizing that I'm going to a country that is foreign to me. Not expecting to be immersed so quickly in Arabic culture, the large amounts of people talking in a language I did not understand became a big challenge that I now hate. I tried to use a phone to let the folks in Kenya that I would again be delayed but couldnt figure out the payphones and card system - asking was equally difficult.

Had an entire row to myself during the Cairo-Nairobi flight and slept like a sick child (probably because I resembled one). Flew past Mount Kilamanjaro on the Nairobi-Mombasa flight and have some sweet air-pictures. I'm on an internet cafe computer now that is charging me, but before I leave, guess what my first meal in Kenya was?

Pancakes.
And coffee.
I'm in my element, folks.

5 comments:

J's Mom said...

Hello sunshine, so glad to hear you've arrived and have had something to eat. Don't forget your baggage claim ticket. Have them trace your backpack with that. Hugs and kisses for you. All our love, Mom and Dad.

Mary said...

w00t! traveling is so exhausting... i hope that you are able to find your baggage and such easily and can get slightly more comfortable than stuffy airports!

Lauren Kathleen said...

my love it seems impossible for me to leave you a message.
I ache for you.
I hope your hart is full and amazing. I count the hours until we will speak again.

Jenn said...

There is a Kenya Airways customer service place near so I can check on the baggage often - nothing to date, but the darn thing is probably flying around Europe somewhere. Funny that once I reached the African continent my travels were seamless, but America screwed things up royally. Irony?

Mary, you're going to love the Cairo airport, but I hope you're brushing up on your Arabic :) Life seems chaotic without understanding some of the language. Let me know when you leave!

Lauren, I heart you. With the whole thing.

Anonymous said...

Hey, my dear friend! Jon went on fb for me last night so I could get this address. So glad you are doing this! Rough start, but sounds better. YEAH! I am still praying. God will prevail! Hope you have clothes to wear now and are getting settled in. Love you.
B