My life is changing here. For the first time in a long time, I am noticing it as it happens. What an incredible feeling.
Being immersed in this people-oriented culture is extremely challenging for this natural, self-proclaimed introvert, but I'm enjoying it more than words are capable of expressing. I have noticed the flow of my life before Kenya was almost completely in line with typical American standards of success (ones I generally wish to denounce). Understand that this is self-criticism too, but we are a fast-paced, goal-oriented, consumer-driven, text-messaging culture that thrives on shallow, empty interactions with one another. So rarely are we aware of how precious that thing called life is.
Yesterday I was driving to the airport to pick up my found luggage with Danny, one of the 3 stie team members who is originally from Ireland. He came here 4 years ago, expecting to stay for 6 months :) After meeting a great guy here doing development, he jumped on board a project and has since created a great school charity. When it started to take off, he commissioned a photojournalist and reporter from Ireland to come cover the success stories. That was 2 months ago, and after the report was finished, the photojournalist stayed around to do freelance stuff.
Last night, he was found dead in a ditch in Nairobi. Danny found out while I was in the car with him on the way to the airport. I've never seen an Irish man so quiet.
There are tons of implications - lessons to learn - from his story. The guy was very well known in Ireland, commissioned by the government to cover international stories all over the world. Young. Talented. But killed in his prime.
I don't know how well I"ll be able to stick to my pledge when I get back to the States, but we have seriously got to reevaluate our priorities. I know folks always say to 'live every moment to the fullest' and, for crying out loud, 'carpe diem' is written on the cash in your pocket, but we are a culture that ignores all of that. I really need to change a few things.
Would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks for the emails. I love you all dearly.
I mean that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
wow.
your entry left me speechless. and started a discussion among my parents and me in our hotel room somewhere in the middle of pa. keep writing. keep experiencing.
sending love from the states.
-kristin
I'm so excited that you're experiencing Kenya. It's one of my most beloved places in the whole world. So sorry to hear about your friend's friend. I'll be in Nairobi August 10 and Mombasa August12-15ish. I'm doing a two week tour of Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania. Will you still be there?
No Tim!! Gosh, I leave the 2nd of August so I can go begin RA training at school. I'm sad that I'll just have missed you, but I'll be sure to leave Mombasa in good condition for your travels.
Keep me updated on your adventures - I know life as a Red Shirt never slows down :) Good to hear from you.
I'm so sorry you had such horrible news so soon into your trip, but I'm definitely glad to hear that your experience has been enriching. It's very hard to understand how life changing travel can be until you experience it for yourself. This opportunity is amazing! I hope you enjoy the rest of your stay. It sounds like this guy has planted a seed into your head... you're thinking about staying, aren't you??
-Jenalee
What you just said, Jenn, that is really depressing. I am glad that you are taking away such good and positive things for change from such awful events, and also from your many wonderful experiences there. There is no doubt, however moving something good is, something bad has tenfold that affect on a person.
I can't wait to discuss all of your new insights on life when you come back!
Post a Comment